After you leave an attorney’s office following a consultation, you should expect to have a clear understanding of the area of law your issue falls within. You should ask to get a copy of the law and ask for the relevant section from the Tennessee Code so you can also do your own research. During the consultation the attorney should discuss with you all the factors relevant to your issue. The attorney should be able to address which issues are relevant to you and which issues are not. Finally, the attorney should discuss the application of the facts of your case to the relevant law.
You should walk away from your consultation with the following knowledge:
- An overview of the legal process; from the filing of the first petition to obtaining the Final Judge Signed Order.
- On matters pertaining to any minor child, you should have a general idea of the factors for naming a Primary Residential Parent and setting parenting time.
- On financial matters, you should have an understanding of how a court classifies assets as marital or separate. You should also have an indication of how a court will divide the assets and the liabilities.
- On child support, you should be able to have information on how Tennessee calculates child support and be able to understand the factors used in setting the amount.
- You should have an idea of what factors are important in setting Spousal Support and be made aware of what the different types of alimony are.
- The attorney should summarize how you will be charged for representation.
- You should have some insight into the amount of court costs for your legal matter.
- You should leave with a plan in mind.
- You should know an approximate timeline for how long the process will take to be completed and an outline in your mind for how to proceed.
- After your consultation, your impression or sense about the nature of your legal matter should be firm in your mind so you know whether you should proceed onto filing a petition.
Feel free to contact my office to schedule a consultation if you are considering me to represent you in your case. I would be more than honored to meet with you. 615-244-3000